Total Pageviews

Monday 28 May 2018

Some sort of windup

Hello here is my GDPL thing or whatever its called.  Its cunting EU law to put this dis lamer up, up.  If for whatever fucked up reason you want to follow then do so, I collect jack shit from you, If you still wish to follow me welcome aboard, if not fuckety bye.


I always wanted to do a sweary disclaimer like that, for the site. Would you like our cookie acceptance thing here goes.  This bastarding site uses fucking cookies. Are you OK with that shit. 

Worse this is not what I wanted to talk about.

We had our PC borked by the new creators update for Windows 10 and for a while we were without a mainline PC. This includes my aunts old Laptop which is more trouble than its worth and a found Laptop that runs linux.  Ever try linux, its serviceable I suppose but everything is open source so don't expect the mainline programs you use to be supported unless you install windows via Virtualbox or use WINE.

The case in point is this, I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of useful programs on Linux store (or whatever that I'd wish to use).  These are displayed here in decreasing usefulness,

VLC, Simple scan, GIMP, Libre Office and maybe Clementine or Krita, things with mostly good design except GIMP which at times is bastard obtuse.  What I would do for a modern DPaint for any system. 

Missing in action are but available XNView MP an excellent picture viewer that should be standard in any OS and Foobar 2000 which sadly isn't ported to linux but remains the best audio player I've used.  Top tip if your audio player wants me to make a playlist or import a playlist then were done.  I listen to CD's and import files individually or in small batches.

Finally there are those things that are designed by blind spastics, but because Linux they are system tools.  This includes Blender and Audacity but also includes most audio players which is why Clementine and VLC are excluded from the list.

Blender is a mix of renderer / animation package / video editor chained to a front end cobbled together from bits and pieces of a Picasso painting such is the level of obtuseness on display.

Audacity is an audio editor which thanks to playthrough mode allows you to capture stuff from real hardware and listen at the same time.  Just don't expect to edit anything as the controls are worse than useless, yes it has a nice load of effects to apply, but its moot if the whole experience is akin to editing with mittens on.  I have a paid version of Goldwave which is a dream to control and edit with its not multi rack like some but for my purposes streets ahead of Audacity. 

It shouldn't be this way, if you want linux to succeed you'll need to make more user friendly apps  programs to lure the punters in or at least Wine less painful.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment