Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 November 2013

Fred Flintstone PH fucking D.

Looks like caveman thinking is catching, the long hated renovation of Youtube (goodbye most of my subs videos) and  its forced adoptance of  Google Plus has come to pass, pissing off everyone I know and consolidating everything into one confusing mess.  You can't comment without it and even if you do it returns errors, Google plus is of course the Red headed stepchild of social networks.  Incidentally thats where I found my log in now as part of manage your blogs rather than going to your homepage (I did want to bugger off to Wordpress or even Tumblr before looking through this so if anyone else is in a similar situation check to see if it hasn't been borged into your Gmail log in).  Even worse I had a trip down to my aunts as she wanted to pick up a new car and I wanted to do some computer stuff (basically run virus and Malware scans and update everything) but it didn't turn out like that.

I wanted to shift across some home videos she has of my family onto DVD via a Videograbber that didn't really work at home.  She has an old dell PC that I've used in the past and I generally boot it up to play stuff via FBA and a few other emulators.  However this time when I booted it up I was met with an error message upon start up that a System32 file was corrupt and pressing r to repair it (can't remember it offhand).  She had long moved on to a small laptop with horrible track pad for email and Internet surfing so it wasn't a problem for her but I wanted to get to the root of it for old times sake.  I decided if windows wouldn't boot I would try Linux and download Mint to see if it would boot via CD. Short answer yes but wouldn't accept cinnamon at all, prefering to go into Fallback mode minus any log out options.  I decided to download Ubuntu and try that as well and it worked a little better but with various crashes, both times it refused to mount the main drive and gave back error messages to check it in windows. 

Finally I Decided to run some benchmarking tools including Dells own set of start up recovery stuff. Ubuntus own drive benchmarking and Seagate tools (for we found it was an old Maxtor drive) DOS start up disc.
The upshot is the drive was knackered and the only thing for it was to take it out and replace it.  Luckily it was never used for much I lost a song I was working on in Aodix and a few replaceable roms, All the photos on there I migrated across to a cd ages ago so nothing much was lost thank dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment