Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 May 2013

All hell breaking loose.

I was going to be writing about something different for this post, but if you've seen the news you'll know what I'll be talking about.  Maybe tomorrow as its bank holiday, clue it involves love and marriage and that, oh and Nick "don't have nightmares" Ross.

Hopefully he'll be killed in jail.
If you didn't guess its the callous murder of a soldier down in Rectory Lane, by two Islamic extremists.  I didn't pay much attention to this story when I heard it first on the radio as they were vague and said south London, its only when the papers and rolling news got into it that what they actually meant was Woolwich.

I've spent most of my life here and this is the first time anything like this has happened here.  True there have been some horrible shit such as the Stephen Lawrence Murder and a bomb attempt by the IRA but nothing like this.  

There was a march by the loony right wing EDL afterwards on the night and later a sponsored walk today (warning Nutter alert).  Culminating in Boris and Hamfaced dillweed David Cameron coming here to talk about it.

To be fair watching the rolling news of this I found Russia Today to have the best recap of it  even though they weren't local.  I'm trying to find footage of either Barack Obama talking about Woolwich or the CNN report according to a mate where they mispronouced Woolwich (I've given up on them mispronouncing Greenwich, its Grinidge not Grenitch).  The BBC had a outside broadcast from the mosque on Plumstead High Street and basically just spouted what a diverse area it was in a patronising voice (it was then I switched over before I kicked a hole in the TV).  Its diverse, i'll give you that with a few muslims and that but its largely african christians or Gurkhas, some of the Indians and Pakistanis I grew up with are still around but are fewer in number now.

We have yet to see the site where it happened but would imagine it to be a sea of tributes, they hold the Meridian bootsale up at the back of the hospital site and during the games cut through past the barracks, and come down that way to reach home, so I'm not unfamiliar with the area at all.  Would go up there but decided to hold off as a mark of respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment