Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 February 2020

The UnimPORTant part 1.

What is the unimPORtant. I've long wanted to do a video series of games never ported. I'd pick a system and see what games are missing and see if they could be added to them. I'm not going do anything modern apart from linux which is its own special case and is detailed below. Apart from that its mainly old console stuff and home computers from either the 80's or 90's.

The list will be, in order:

Linux.
Neo-geo
NES
Home micro round up
SNES and Megadrive.
Amiga.

The only rules I make for this is that it doesn't appear on the system and that said game can be physically done, i.e no modern disc game ports for 8bit / 16 bit consoles.

Linux.

The favourite free and open source way to revive an old computer, before you jack it in and send it to the tip. Relying on the fact that nothing has progressed past 1993, while it does have GUI the hardcore will use terminal for everything. I mainly use it for scanning using simple scan, but thanks to nice opensource programs like VLC, GIMP and Libre Office you can use it to do so much more which brings us to the first of missing links.

The Adobe Audition Multi Track recorder clone.

True there is Audacity for sound manipulation and either Ardour or the excellent LMMS (basically the only FL studio timeline shit I can stomach.) but they are either terrible, or DAWs(digital audio workstations).  I want the audio equivalent of what GIMP is to Photoshop but user friendly and usable.  For re edits and such, I know you could do it in Audacity, but as I've said before its awful and would rather someone coded something up from scratch.

The Audio player that isn't shit.

I.E the Foobar2000 clone. I've had the misfortune to use a whole host of rubbish audio players and found the best was either Clementine or VLC. There is nothing that will let you play files one by one and they all use a play list like some bastard version of iTunes from Apple which is awful.

Foobar2000 is great as its not only skinnable but thanks to 3rd party modules supports nearly everything it can throw at it. I have SID support and MIDI along with a few destructive effects for commercial shit.

The CD Ripper.

Sorry if its all audio related but I would love to see someone make a FOSS equivalent of  Windows Exact Audio Copy. Its a really nice windows program that focuses on accurately ripping CDs with a focus on damaged and scratched discs. I didn't check to see if there is an equivalent for Linux, but I'm betting there ism't. Seems an oversight.

The installer integration program.

I know this can be done via the terminal command: sodoff u get and install my program you bastard.

But would really like to see this being made part of the main linux to install things from known sources. Maybe an actual installer to install automatically proper linux programs for you system outside the actual linux app store.

Finally the system information app.

I know there is a thing that acts like rainmeter for linux but that is not what I want. All I want is like windows system information that displays HD size, processor speed and memory allocation. There are a few things like that but are split through 4 different programs.  All I really want is a mix of CPUID and a Hardware monitor. I suspect there are terminal commands to display this in depth.

Anyway this ends my first round up and I'll be back next time looking at missing NEO-GEO games in a similar vein.

There is probably a terminal command that will show you



No comments:

Post a Comment