Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 June 2015

Pimlico Junk Tour

This is going to be a disappointing trip out for a number of reasons but safe to say its largely due to massive amounts of Jehovas Witnesses being around with their little stalls and that.  The main reason for popping down to Pimlico is for the RHS halls or rather the Linley Library in which the club has scheduled a trip out some time toward the end of July, so I thought I would at least be prepared with knowing the whereabouts of it (in Vincent Square to the right of the Train station).  Getting there wasn't much of a hassle, after I got my bearings and a disastrous side trip to Buck House, found where I wanted to go.

As there seemed to be some sort of party going on in the school grounds opposite I decided to walk down to Pimlico and see what it had to offer charity shop wise.  There were a few hospice shops and a Fara, as well as an Oxfam too.   Oxfam for me is mixed bag, they normally have some good stuff but they are massive scalpers, I ended up paying retail price for a half missing Kuba Sojka album (I paid £11.40 thanks to the guy in store having no change, Discogs has it at around £10 complete) and yeah didn't realize it was half missing till I looked it up.   I did pick up some good stuff on CD including Blackalicious Nia, Curtis Mayfield double compilation and a DJ Muro / Dmitiri From Paris double pack which had no CD's in it at all.

Fans of Weird books may wish to know about Evangelism in Tahiti 1850- 1950 (I think it also had a Polynesian subtitle and may not be about Tahiti), there was also a book about hacking and a biography for that well known war criminal and con man Tony Blair.

The most galling thing is not the half missing or just plain missing albums but this little trove from the Trinity Hospice off of Warwick Way.  They had a few CDs including the Avalanches album (I bloody love Frontier Psychiatrist) only to be told at the Check out, that someone had stolen the CD (notice the pattern here), no the worst thing here is that they had Xbox 360 and PS3 games for sale.  These weren't your usual annual updates of Fifa Soccer from 3 years ago, but some scarce RPGS,  they had an Xbox 360 version of  FF13 part 2 as well as a few Tri Ace gems Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean 4 and pride of place a Tales of Vesperia (they also had Ni No Kuni for PS3 as well). My love of consoles died sometime when the PS2 died out so I don't have a modern console and I didn't dare ask the price so don't know if they were there or even if they were going for a bargain price.

It wasn't all down hill from here on but near enough, we did however pick up some tapes from the Salvation's Barmy charity shop.  4 for a quid nearly all  Thomsun Original bootlegs and an unknown Arabic tape and a Lebanese version of Cross of Changes by Enigma.

In the background this blog.
The Thomsun tapes are cut down albums missing a few tracks here and there but the others are just odd in fact the only English on the end one says Proudly made in Saudi Arabia, I would have asked my neighbour who she is (He's Moroccan) but will have to rely on Google Images to see if it'll give me a hit .
Edit its Diana Haddad and the album is called Saken, she's Lebanese according to wikipaedia.
There were a few of these suggesting the whole lot were middle eastern in origin.
Finally Oxfam off of Goodge street gave us the over priced and half missing Kuba Sojka album and also had
a Chinese VCD of  Crucifer of Blood, with Charlton Heston playing Sherlock Holmes and yes that sounds absolutely awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment