Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 June 2024

Bee Orchid

 One of those things I really didn't expect to see. I know we get the Pyramidial Orchid flowering along the verges here near London, in July, but this was out of the blue. 

Went to the bootsale and got a few things, a load of slides and comedy on tape. Was about to leave the giant field its held in and noticed a small pale flower in long grass.  It couldn't be an orchid, could it!?

It is exactly what it is and its remarkably small for what it was I would say its about 2cm or nearly an inch.

I hunkered down and took a few shots, including a close up of the flowers. It's a Bee Orchid Ophrys aperifera. One of the lesser seen orchids here. 


I knew Kent had a few orchids but never expected them to be this close to the smoke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment