Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 June 2023

Psycle Alpha a review of sorts.

 Been a fan of this for absolutely ages, after downloading and hating Buzz on dial up many years ago. I always thought it was a clone of this but seeing a Youtube vid on how to do it I was brought round. 

Anyway you'll want to know what this is exactly. It's a tracker program, the sort used to make music in the 90's but with more modern features such as VST instruments and effects along with a sample player. Like Buzz it works of generator's and effects, unlike Buzz its not a head fuck. 

It's  development was halted for a while now and I only noticed that work resumed on Sourceforge, when  I checked the code part. A few nominal updates with the option to compile it yourself like a geek. Then this week I looked at the files and there is an Alpha binary ready compiled for install. 

A few caveats, It seems stable but even the older betas are ropey so I'm fully expecting this to fall apart whenever a track nears completion. It's got a new dark layout which isn't bad. And all the preferences and are at the bottom now. No icons and saving's weird now. 

The main thing is that we have a sequencer interface as well from every other DAW in the past 20 odd years. It takes some getting used to and you can use  the tracker interface as well which helps. I'm currently rebuilding my plugin cache and rooting out which works and which causes a crash. But for those pondering if the Reaktor window resize bug is still there, its been fixed.

Current views on this are it's not bad, and if they ever implement VST3 functionality. I'll be staying on board. Oh before I go there is a language switch for English / Espanol. 

You can grab it here prebuilt for either Windows or Linux. 



No comments:

Post a Comment