Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 August 2022

Chormebork

 We finally found one of these low powered PC's, in a fly tip of all places, and while predictably it was fucked (didn't turn on) it had a nice aesthetic about it.

I guess I just love low powered form factor PC's. I've written before about a weird TV PC we've found and this is going to be no exception. I guess I did the only logical thing one does with busted hardware. Tear it down.

Chromebork guts.

It's from 2014 so its long passed its use by date, but looking at that, what you don't see is a good half of that is battery, like a laptop battery. The rest seems to be a tablet motherboard style, with ram built in (2GB) a NAND chip working as your storage, and a few connectors for expansion, SD Card, HDMI and a two USB ports one USB 3.0. 

If I was designing it I would either put in a low capacity SSD or use a Micro SD card that you could upgrade as its main HD. RAM would be double that maybe even 8GB, and dropping the SD reader and upping the USB port counts to 4, all USB3.  My idiot brain wants a SATA port at the back for HD integration and no I've no idea if that is feasible, I just liked the callback to old computers such as the Amiga. Also, a laptop battery seems fine for this but yet again my idiot mind wants to run this from a iPhone battery.

I hate mostly online stuff and Chromebork seems to be all online with I think a few sops to running android. I know there are a few android as main OS, such as Android Remix and apart from one incredibly busted laptop never got it working on anything else. So this or inevitable linux port or  Raspberry pi desktop OS. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment