Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 March 2020

cough cough.

I aten't dead yet as Granny Weatherwax would say as she lay out with her sign upon her chest, I'm still kicking and healthy at the moment, asymptomatic as they say. Sars2 electro boogaloo is currently fucking up the western world with a liberal sprinkling of selfish cunts stockpiling bog roll and in fact anything that moves, and wearing masks that will do literally fuck all.

I've been self isolating, well my whole life's been self isolating but there you go. Also as my job is largely cleaning, I'm one of the front line, key workers, If they tell me to stay home, I will. To be honest I have leave to take by the end of  the month, and we'll see how the Wu flu situation goes on from there.

Seems like you need a book or two to read in these dark times. We just got through editing The Wailing Siren Mystery in both the original and UK edition remake.

A word of warning, both the original and the remake are from the UK. The original text was slightly anglicized, so I've tried to put it back to American English. My original was by Sampson Low which used The Sinister Signpost as the first book in the series. So it's not quite a 1 to 1 transcription. Think of it more like a 99% especially as I've amended some typos from the original.

The UK version really doubles down on the whole baseball game where Frank goes missing, the Sampson Low keeps all the terminology in which of course would go over the head of the average Brit. (To put it in perspective, this is what a baseball bat is most used for in this country.)  So much so, it's a wonder how they got all this rewritten so a limey such as I could understand it.

The original expands on various bits and pieces (meeting Officer Smuff and Con Riley on the docks, camping Bantz and as usual Aunt Gertrude getting toned down) and even gives the Hardy's girlfriends some detective work to do in the original.

But still its 90% the same, much like the Secret of The Lost tunnel and such.

You can download both original and remake here. and here

No comments:

Post a Comment