Total Pageviews

Sunday 14 February 2016

Chinese New Year.

Celebrate Chinese New Year Monkey, Newyear Felicitations, beneficial.  We could say it is Monkey Year or Iron Monkey God Celeb ration, for much prosper in the way we into the Auspicious much in the ways. 
Sinister Cupping Machine Chinglish
Hello readers, I hope you liked that intro, that was of course written in the traditional language of China "Chinglish" I have taken the liberty to add another example from the collection above to show you what I'm getting at.  I bloody love Chinglish, no disrespect of course but those who don't know English or have a tenuous grip on it can twist it in may's wost beautiful.

If you didn't know, today is the official new year celebrations up town involving fireworks and all the stuff I don't much like,  so with leave banking up, we decided to venture out on the Friday seeing as Saturday would be rainy and see what was occurring.  The answer of course is nothing much as it was cold out, so while I didn't see any Lion Dancers or Monkey Gods on the loose, I did get quite a good view of all the new year decorations up at China Town. 

Sun Wukong badass.
Streams of red lanterns hung everywhere and there were people out with camera's taking shots of it all.  Down by the fire station there was a series of displays detailing the Journey West aka Monkey! for those old enough to know the old show.  It displayed a potted synopsis of his greatest hits along with Pigsy, Sandy, Tripitaka and his horse in their quest to retrieve the sacred scriptures from India. I always thought the end tune said in "Condora" as a little kid but its actually Gandhara.  Pretty sure it was rerun on Sky One in the Mid 90's too.

This is a pretty good representation of it all.
Anyway I didn't see any Lion Dancers this time or Martial Arts as I have previous years but what I did see was pretty cool. I'll leave you with a photo of the big gate leading down to Leicester Square and of course to wish you Gong Xi Fa Cai.

Lovely.

1 comment: