Total Pageviews

Sunday 18 January 2015

Bit of a Computer Rush.

Had quite an eventful week or two in regarding finds and that but first of all some weird news.

PSP Firmware updated for no apparent reason.

For some unknown reason the PSP has been jolted out of its twilight years with an out of the blue firmware update.  According to Sony the:

System software stability during use of some features has been improved. 

Which is both vague and meaningless, for pirates and emulator fans it breaks some custom firmware, although VHBL is unaffected so far, so Vitards can run all the homebrew they want (unless Sony block it again). I suspect that custom firmware will probably be updated soon as they pretty much have the PSP under control and no games have been confirmed running it so far which makes this a pointless update. 

Super Hub and Laptop.

Getting back to events we have two nice finds dug out at work over the past two weeks.  Both will require a bit of work, one is a SuperHub and the other is a laptop.

My first find is a Superhub (A Netgear router for Virgin Media in other words) which I can confirm works but due to stupidity and stuff is now sidelined until I update my PC.  That means it is recognised and can connect only to a local area network and googling only brings up more and more trouble and outdated contradictory advice.  So its being held in reserve until I update my PC sometime when Windows 10 is out. 

The Laptop is this found dumped out in a bin bag. The only thing wrong with it is its hinges are knackered which I'm looking to have replaced.  I have no idea what is on the drive but the specs are similar to what I'm using now so will be replaced another found PC when the bastard is repaired.  We've already shelled out on it to add a generic charger which causes it to light up and makes the screen look like its floodlit which is odd.  Will probably add Linux Mint to it as well even though I'm no fan of the Linux command line way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment